Tuesday, October 20, 2015

unlimited data plans going.. going... gone... and less memory on phones. Result? lots of uploads and data use.

I guess this isn't going to be a long blog entry. I just find it very irritating that I am once again being phased out of an unlimited data plan by the company I currently use (Credo Mobile).  If I upgrade a phone with them, I have to leave the unlimited plan behind.

I also find that when looking for a new and faster phone, that some of the leaders have eliminated my ability to insert a microSD card.  So I can't move my microSD from my Samsung Galaxy S4 to some new devices.

It seems like the whole cloud thing is interfering with common sense... need faster uploads to REALLY make the cloud work... upload speeds from home are slow and data plans on phones/portable hardware no longer have unlimited data upload/download... so we need larger memory on smart phones in order not to pay too much for cloud access and data transport... stupid companies...

I do not believe that ubiquitous data access will ever be truly available in a free-for-all like true capitalism even with government and industry standards trying to keep up with the changes. And also, competition pushes change forward... but some parts of a system always lag behind...

We will always need local storage and in sufficient quantity for the specs of the video and still shots of our smart devices. I personally get sick of carrying my "good" camera around when really my phone is sufficient for "snapshots" which exceed my old 35 mm snapshots (as opposed to "photography").  But I'll carry it with me, or my laptop, if I think the phone's memory will run out on a trip...

Maybe I take and keep too many photos and videos on my phone.

Meanwhile, I have mirrored my backups (2 single terrabyte drives) and they are running out of space... I need to de-duplicate and clean up my backups...

What was I saying? Oh, either give me unlimited data upload capability with a ubiquitous (truly, like in Yellowstone) data access or give me more memory on my phone please!

No comments: