Thursday, July 24, 2014

Using Thunderbolt Seagate "tray" for any drive.

I just got the new drive!

I used the Cable Matters 2.5" SATA Hard Drive case to enclose my HGST Travelstar.  It did not work "out of the box" because the opening of the Cable Matters box was slightly too small. I whittled away at the bottom, then at the top. In hindsight I think whittling all the change at the top would have been better.  I used a box cutter. Do that at your own risk. I have cut myself badly in the past trying to whittle plastic, so don't use the drive cover if you don't want to.  It just supports the drive better than sliding the bare drive onto the connector and letting it dangle.

After the adjustments I slid the drive into the the Seagate Thuderbolt "tray" adapter and hooked it up to the Thunderbolt on my MacBook.

I formatted the drive as indicated by Apple, and am proceeding to copy from the  old Time Machine Backup from my WD My Passport drive to the new drive following these instructions also at Apple.

I'm not sure what I will do with the My Passport... keep it as a spare "archive" of Time Machine?  The "genius" at the Apple Store said I can use many drives for Time Machine.  I'll have to look into what he meant by that, other than "use the new drive for new Time Machine backups and forget about the old ones unless you need them" but I can't trust a dieing drive, so I've chosen to copy the files (more than a million so far) from the old drive to the new drive.

This will take a while... more later...

Later:  hahahahahahaha!  No wonder he gave me that advice!


I am underwhelmed.

Update:  I calculated the estimate based on the 35 MB/s USB 2.0 bottleneck of the process and came up with 7 hours.  When I went to bed, the dialog said 3 days.  Got up the next morning it was done.  Relieved to know I was right in my instinct, no way 881GB took 3 days...

Update 2: I did NOT know that you could tell Time Machine to use more than one drive and it decides which backup goes where...  Also been reading about it's limitations.

No comments: